Basic Details Regarding United Airlines Check-in Policy
As per the Guidelines under the United Airlines Check-in Policy, various options are available for passengers through which they can get their boarding approved by Airlines. The time window available for the passengers to check in varies based on the mode they have opted to complete the check-in process. The most preferred option among the passengers through which they can complete their check-in policy for United Airlines includes online mode, i.e., the official website or the mobile app, and offline mode, i.e., Kiosk or the counter at the airport. Other methods include voice check-in and Auto auto-check-in. Read this article to get all the details regarding the check-in process for United Airlines.
United Airlines Check-In Policy and Process
Various modes available for the passengers under the United Airlines Flight Check-in Policy to complete their check-in process include:
- Official website of United Airlines (united.com)
- Mobile application of the United Airlines
- Voice Check-in
- Auto Check-in
- Check-in at the Airport which includes the following options:
- Curbside check-in
- Kiosk check-in
- Ticket counter check-in
What is the Check-in Timing for United Airlines?
As per the United Airlines flight check-in policy already mentioned above, the timings for check-in at United Airlines vary based on the mode you have chosen to complete the check-in process. Also, the deadline for the check-in process varies based on whether you are traveling on an international or a domestic flight or whether it is a connecting or a non-stop flight. Check-in timings for various modes have been listed below:
United Airlines Online check for a domestic flight:
- In case of a domestic flight, the online check-in windows open 24 hours before the flight departure.
- With checked baggage, passengers have a deadline of 45 minutes.
- Without checked baggage, they have 30 minutes in order to complete the check-in formalities and board the flight.
Variations in United Airlines Check-in Timings from US Airports
United Airlines Check-in policy for International flights through online mode
The check-in window for the international flight is within 24-1 hours from the flight’s scheduled departure.
However, the deadline to complete the check-in process sometimes varies from 1 hour to either 75, 90, or 45 minutes for some of the flights. All these exceptions are listed below:
Check-In Deadline for International Flight
60 Minutes before the flight departure
45 minutes (with or without checked baggage)
Salt Lake City
1 Hour (60 minutes)
45 for both the passengers with or without checked baggage.
San Juan, PR (JU)
At least 60 minutes before flight departure time.
Minimum 45 minutes
Need to check-in before 30 minutes (with or without checked
Minimum 60 before the flight departure
The passenger needs to check in before 45 minutes of the flight
Passengers have a deadline of 75 minutes
With Checked Baggage: 30 minutes
Without Checked Baggage: 45 minutes
Flight to/From Micronesia and the Marshall Islands
Apart from the airports in the USA, the check-in timings for any United Airlines vary for various airports around the world. Various airports where the United Airlines check-in time varies are listed below:
Check-in Limit 90 minutes
75 Minutes Check-in Limits
Toronto, St. Thomas, Tel Aviv, Chuuk, Guam, Honolulu, Kosrae,
Dubai, Delhi, Rome, Paris, Milan, Berlin, Brussels, Amsterdam,
Check-in Timings for United Airlines Through a Mobile App
Passengers who are completing their check-in through the mobile app are offered the same time window of 24 hours to 1 hour/45/30 minutes, depending on their flight itinerary. Through the smartphone, it is easier for the passenger to get a boarding pass as they can easily download it from the mobile and display it while boarding on the flight.
What are the United Airlines timings for voice check-in and Auto? Check-in
As well as online and mobile check-in, the time offered to the passengers is 24 hours (30-45 minutes).
The United Airlines Check-in Time Limit for Offline at the Airport Counter
As per the United Airlines Check-In Policy, passengers can confirm their check-in at the airport by various means, which are listed below, along with the check-in time limits.
Mode of Check-in
Curbside check-in at the airport
4 hours to 30 minutes
Check-in through the Self-service Kiosk at the Airport
3 hours to 30 minutes (The deadline for Check-in might vary depending on the Airport from where your flight departs)
Airport Counter Check-in
For Domestic Flights:
With checked baggage: 3 hours to 45 minutes
Without Checked baggage: 3 hours to 30 minutes.
For International Flight
3 hours to 1 hour
What is the Boarding Process for United Airlines Flight
Once the check-in has been completed, passengers need to board the flight within the given deadline. For the domestic flight, it is 15 minutes before the flight departure and 30 minutes for the International flight.
For some of the airports listed below, the boarding time is 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
Two lanes are available for the passengers through which they can board the aircraft, which are Blue and Green Lane. Based on the passenger’s type or their flight booking, six boarding groups are there on any United Airlines Flight, which are from Group 1 to 6. Group 1 passengers can board through Blue Lane, while Group 2-6 need to board through Green Lane.
The boarding process of United Airlines starts from pre-boarding, followed by Group 1 and then Group 2-6.
Pre Boarding Group Passengers include:
- Unaccompanied Minors.
- Passengers with special needs (disabilities).
- Military personnel of the US military in uniform or active duty.
- Parents with a child under the age of 2 years.
- Global Service Member of United Airlines and the premier 1K member.
Group 1 Passengers: Premier Platinum and Gold Members of United Airlines, Sar Alliance Gold members of the Airlines, Premium Cabin Passengers.
Group 2 Passengers: Star Alliance Silver and Premier Silver Members, passengers with Priority boarding or premier access, United Club Card Members or the United Explorer Members, Presendentials Plus, or the Mileage Plus Award Card Members.
The Group 3-5 Passengers comprise Economy fare members.
How to Check-in Online for a United Flight
- Visit the official website of United Airlines (united.com), where, on the homepage, you can easily locate the option to complete the check-in process.
- Now, on the next screen, you need to provide your flight details, like confirmation number, ticket number, and last name.
- Hit the search button, after which you can easily see your flight details displayed on the screen.
- Select the flight and then hit the option “Check-in.”
- Once the check-in has been completed, a boarding pass will be generated, which you can get through email or on the mobile app. Take a printout of the boarding or save it on your mobile phone.
United Airlines Online Check-in with Checked Baggage
Passengers have the option to complete the check-in process online even if they have checked baggage. However, they need to keep in mind that they need to drop their baggage off in the baggage drop area before the check-in deadline.
Payment for United Airlines checked-in baggage can be made during the check-in window.
Following passengers cannot check-in online for a United Airlines Flight:
- If you have a paper ticket, then you cannot check in online.
- Passenger traveling with a pet can confirm their check-in through online mode only.
- In case you have made a special request to meet an airline representative on your reservation, then United Airlines online check-in will not be an option.
- Any flight itinerary with more than four connecting flights needs to be checked in offline mode only.
- An online check-in option is not available for any flight reservation with more than nine people.
Check-in on a United Airlines Flight through the Mobile App
Users can easily download the official mobile app of United Airlines either through Playstore, Amazon App Store, or the Apply Store, depending on the mobile device they are using. Once you have downloaded the mobile app, follow the given steps to complete the United Airlines Check-in:
- Open the Mobile App of the United Airlines.
- On the home screen, you can find the option “Check-in,” click on it.
- On the next page, provide your ticket details, which include the confirmation number and the last name.
- Hit the option “check-in” to complete the check-in process.
United Airlines Voice Check-In
Passengers can simply dial the helpline number of the airline, and during the automated menu, you have to say “Check-In.” Other amenities available for the passenger during the voice check-in are:
- Inform the airlines about the amount of checked baggage you are taking.
- Get information regarding baggage charges.
- Request for the boarding documents either to be sent to your email or arranged for you to pick up at the Kiosk.
Auto Check-in Facility of the United Airlines
Passengers, while booking a flight ticket, can opt for the auto check-in option. Through this, the check-in will be done automatically within the 24-hour window of the flight departure. This option is really essential for one on a connecting flight or on a return ticket. Select the preferred way through which you want to receive your automatically generated boarding pass.
Check-in for United Airlines Flight at the Airport Counter
Passenger can also complete their check-in at the Airport at which three different ways are available for them:
Airport Curbside Check-In
The curbside facility is available at selected airports. Passenger has a check-in window of 4 hours to 30 minutes to complete their check-in. During the check-in, passenger need to have their flight details and one photo ID with them.
Complete your Flight Check-In At the United Airlines Airport Self-Service Kiosk
Check-in through the Self-Service Kiosk at the Airport is a very simple process where you need to follow some simple instructions in order to generate your boarding pass. The following information is required when you check in United Airlines Self-Service Kiosk:
- Flight Details (confirmation number, E-Ticket number, Frequent Flyer Card)
- Credit Card ( in case of checked baggage payment)
- Passport (while traveling on an international flight)
Other facilities available for the passenger at Self-Service Kiosk are:
- Boarding pass generation and baggage check-in.
- Seat selection, upgradation, or request for seat change on a flight.
- Option of flight stand-by for premium cabin seat.
- Same-day flight change request or request for an alternate flight in case of a canceled or delayed flight.
Following flight tickets are eligible for a check-In through a Kiosk.
- Unaccompanied minors cannot check in through the self-service Kiosk at the airport.
- Paper tickets or any ticket without any full fee collection will not be applicable for a Kiosk check-in.
- In case your operating carrier is not United Airlines.
United Airlines Check-In at Airport Desk
The final option for the passengers under the United Airlines Check-in policy is that they visit the airport and complete the check-in formalities offline from the airline’s desk at the airport. You need to show mandatory mandatory documents along with your passport (for international flights). Along with that, passengers also have the option to check in their baggage, generate a boarding pass, and request for seat selection, upgradation or seat change.
Passengers need to take note that the check-in counter timings for various airports are different. Also, not every airport accepts cash as a form of payment. Baggage check-in timings is 45 minutes for domestic flight and 60 minutes for international flight.
United Airlines Check-in in Case of Special Customer
Passenger with special needs can request assistance from the airlines at the airport during their check-in process. Following special assistance is available for the customer boarding on a United Airlines Flight:
- Wheelchair assistance for the one in need.
- Verbal flight information or the information display system to the passenger who is not able to get their flight details.
- Special assistance at the Airport Kiosk and telecommunication devices for those with hearing problems so that they can easily understand the cabin crew.
For the following customers, the special assistance is available:
- Passengers with disabilities or pregnant women traveling on United Airlines Flight.
- Passengers traveling with Pets.
- Senior Passengers or unaccompanied minors.
- Passengers who are requested for special meals or extra seating.
- Passengers with the request of onboard oxygen supply.
Summing it Up
The United Airlines Policy for check-in comprises all the information that passengers can keep in mind after confirmation of their reservation on a United Flight. Passengers with special needs or traveling with a pet or a kid who is less than two years of age are advised to arrive at least 2 hours before the flight’s scheduled departure. The baggage needs to be dropped off at the baggage drop area within the check-in deadline. Well. that’s all from our side. For further information, you can connect with Tours and Travel through the helpline number or the live chat options for which are available below.