Canceling a flight is only some people’s cup of tea. The procedure can be long and hectic, only if you do not know the correct steps. But, lucky for you, the Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy is quite straightforward and, at the same time, flexible. Passenger can easily cancel their reservation by opting for different modes of flight cancellation, which we will discuss later in this blog. For now, let’s get started with the terms and conditions of Delta Cancellation Policy.
Guidelines of Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy
- According to the Delta Airlines flight cancellation policy, the passenger may have to pay cancellation fees depending on their ticket type.
- However, you can only request a refund on certain types of tickets. Remember that you cannot get a Refund on a non-refundable ticket, a basic economy ticket.
- Ensure to cancel your flight within 24 hours.
- Once your ticket expires, there’s no point in asking for a refund.
- Per the Delta refund policy, the Refund may take some days to proceed and will be credited back to the original payment method.
- If the airline has delayed or canceled your flight, they will provide you with a Refund or hook you to the next available flight.
Delta Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
According to Delta Airlines’ cancellation policy, passengers can cancel their reservation within 24 hours before departure. Here are some of the things that you must remember;-
- The passengers must cancel their flight within 24 hours to get the complete Refund. Also, your flight must be scheduled for the next seven working days to request a refund.
- Per Delta Cancellation Policy, the 24-hour cancellation rule will apply to everyone regardless of what ticket they own and which class they belong to.
- However, you cannot cancel your SkyMiles tickets under the 24-hour cancellation rule.
- If you are traveling in a group, then you will not be able to apply this rule.
- The Delta cancellation policy will apply to all flights departing from US & Canada.
- In the end, the airline will provide you with the Refund in the next seven working days in your original payment format.
Delta Flight cancellation due to Medical Emergency
As per the Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy, passengers can cancel their flight due to medical reasons. If we go by the rule, this policy will apply to all the passengers who cannot travel due to medical reasons. However, you must provide a valid reason to cancel your flight and showcase proper documentation.
Delta Flight Cancellation Due to Weather
There are many scenarios where the airline cancels their flight due to bad weather conditions. In this case, the passengers will be eligible for full compensation. The airline will also hook you up onto the next available flight.
Delta Cancellation Policy Fee Policy
As per the Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy, the passengers may have to pay cancellation fees for flight cancellation. However, the cancellation fee depends on factors such as a ticket, fare type, and departure destination. Remember that the fees will be applicable on refundable & non-refundable fares.
Check out the complete showdown of the Cancellation fee:-
For Basic Economy tickets
For Non-refundable Tickets
For Refundable Tickets
During the 24-hour cancellation period
After 24-hour cancellation period
Within 24 hours
What is the Procedure to Cancel Delta Flight?
The airline offers multiple modes for passengers to cancel their flights. We will be explaining different methods for flight cancellation, such as;
1. Delta Flight Cancellation using Online Mode
Delta flight Cancellation using online mode is one of the easiest methods. All you have to do is follow the right steps, and you are good to go:
• Start by visiting the official site of Delta Airlines. visit: https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-cancel/cancel-flight
• Now, enter your information regarding flight cancellation, such as ticket number, last name, and confirmation code.
• Afterward, locate and click on the flight that you wish to cancel.
• Pay the cancellation fee if there’s any.
• Once you are done with this, you will file for a refund.
• The airline will provide a Refund in the original format of your payment, which will take around seven working days.
2. Delta Flight Cancellation Through Calling
You can try this method if the method mentioned above is not feasible for you. For this, you must reach out to the Delta Airlines executives and address your issue to them. For more, execute these below-listed steps:
• Keep your flight number, ticket number, and other details handy while calling the airlines.
• Next, you can address your issue with the customer care agent.
• If you are eligible for a refund, make sure to request a refund.
• However, if you cancel a non-refundable ticket or any other ticket, the airline will offer you a travel voucher instead of a Refund.
3. Try the Straightforward way
We have yet another option for you if you still need to find the abovementioned methods feasible. This method requires you to get to the airport and ask the agent to cancel your flight. As soon as you are done with that, follow these below-listed steps;-
• Firstly, visit your nearest airport.
• Then, go to the Delta ticket counter and submit your necessary documents.
• Next, ask the airline to cancel your flight.
• Then, pay for any cancellation fee (in this case, you may have to pay a certain amount as your cancellation fee.)
• Enquire about the Refund; if you are eligible for one, you will get it in the next working days.
What if My Flights Was Delayed Or Cancelled By the Airline?
Delta, or any airline, tends to cancel flights due to bad weather or technical malfunction. In this case, the airline will compensate you or provide an alternative flight.
(i) If your Flight was Delayed
According to recent sources, if your flight gets delayed for any of the reasons mentioned earlier, then you will be eligible for compensation. However, you will only be eligible for a refund or compensation if you meet these requirements;
- If your flight has been delayed for more than 2 hours, the airline will provide you with refreshments and free in-flight meals.
- The airline will reschedule your flight if your flight happens to get delayed for more than 6 hours.
- However, in worst-case scenarios, the passengers are even permitted to stay overnight if their flight is rescheduled for the next day or later in the night.
(ii) If your Flight was Cancelled
It is normal for airlines to cancel the flight due to some technical issues or if there’s a weather emergency. Sometimes it happens last minute, and sometimes the airline informs its passengers about the cancellation beforehand. If your flight is canceled last minute, you are eligible for a full refund. Otherwise, the airline will offer you an alternative flight instead.
- The passengers can claim a Refund for the unused portion of their ticket if the airline informed them about the flight cancellation at least two weeks ago.
- For those who missed their connecting flight due to Delta flight cancellation. Then, you can get a Refund on the portions you have yet to use.
(iii) If you Have Been Denied Booking
Apart from the other two given situations, there are times when you are denied boarding. There can be many reasons for this, such as overbooking seats. In this situation, here are some things that you can do:
- If you are denied boarding, then the airline will try to coax you and may offer you an alternative flight. Remember, if your alternative flight is only an hour away, you will have no compensation or Refund.
- However, if the airline does not offer you an alternative flight or fails to do so, then you can get at least 200% compensation keeping your original ticket price in mind.
Looking For Another Way to Cancel Your Delta Flight? Try Talking to Live Agent
Sometimes talking to a live agent is the best option for you. To know how to follow these below-mentioned steps;-
• Start by getting the Delta customer support number you can find on the official website of Delta.
• Then dial that number and listen carefully to the automated voice.
• Choose a dial button per the voice’s instructions and connect with your agent.
• As soon as you connect with your agent, you will get all the necessary information.
• Next, ask the agent to cancel your flight and also give a proper reason for your flight cancellation.
• You can proceed with the flight cancellation process after following the instructions.
• Keep your ticket confirmation number handy for a smooth cancellation procedure.
Delta Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy & Compensation
Per the Delta Flight Cancellation policy, the airline will compensate its passengers at least $750. Remember, this will only happen if:
• Your flight has been delayed by the airline for more than 3 hours
• However, if the airline has informed you about the flight cancellation, you will get it at least 14 days before departure.
• Or if you have been denied booking due to overbooking.
Here is the complete showdown of compensation:
Departing Flight Distance
For flights Less than 2000 Km
All the flights Between 2000 Km and 4000 Km
Flights more than 4000 Km
Delta Airlines Refund Policy
You must file for a refund once you have successfully cancelled your flight. But, before that, you must be familiar with the Delta Refund policy. Here are some of the points you must know of :
- Per the Refund policy, the passenger can request a refund within 24 hours of your flight cancellation.
- However, you would have to pay a cancellation fee charged by the airline, depending on what type of ticket you have and your departure destination.
- The passengers who opted for basic economy tickets cannot cancel their flight and cannot file for a refund as per Delta’s Cancellation Policy.
- If the airline has cancelled your ticket due to any technical malfunction or bad weather, you can apply for a full refund.
- According to the Delta Airlines Refund Policy, the Refund will be credited to your account in the next seven working days.
How Can you Get a Refund from Delta Airlines
Once you understand the rules and regulations of the refund policy, you can initiate the refund procedure. As per the statics, there are many ways by which you can request a full refund. Here’s how you can do it;-
1. log in to your Account & Request For a Refund
• To begin, go to the official website of Delta Airlines.
• Once you finish that, you can start by logging in to your account.
• Go and search for the My Trip option.
• As soon as you finish that, you can select the flight you want to cancel.
• Next, hit the Cancel Flight option and follow the given instructions.
2. Fill the Contact Form & Initiate the Refund Process
• Just like the first method, start by visiting the official website of Delta Airlines.
• Go to the contact section from the home page, and select customer forms.
• Search for the refund form and fill out all the necessary details.
• The Delta customer service agent will get back to you in a minute as soon as you complete the form.
Cancelling a flight is easier than it may seem. All you have to do is follow the right steps, and you will be good to go. We have concluded all the rules and regulations you must know about Delta’s Cancellation policy to simplify this procedure. Apart from this, if you follow the rules and cancel your flight in the given period, you can apply for a full refund. Hence, visit our official site for more information on flight policies and ticket booking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. Yes, you can. According to the Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy, once you complete the cancellation procedure, all your miles will be credited back into your account. However, you will be charged by the airline and have to pay a cancellation fee.
Ans. Yes, you will be eligible for a full refund if your flight was canceled by Delta Airlines. On the other hand, if you have used miles to book your flight, those miles will be credited back into your account.
Ans. It usually takes at least seven to ten working days for your refund to get processed. You have to wait seven days, and if your Refund is not credited back in the next seven days, contact the airline.
Ans. As per Delta Airlines cancellation policy, the passengers may have to pay at least $200 if they cancel their flight after 24 hours.
Ans. Yes, it is possible. The passengers can cancel their flight within 24 hours and even request a refund. The Refund will be credited in the form of credits in the passenger's account.