Have you ever been in a situation where you had to cancel your reservation with United Airlines? If yes, you must be familiar with the United Airlines Cancellation Policy. The cancellation policy is simple, flexible, and catered to every passenger’s needs. To gather more information on this topic, stay tuned until the end and find out everything you must know about the Cancellation Policy.
Terms & Conditions of United Airlines Cancellation Policy
- Per the United Cancellation Policy, passengers can cancel their flight at least 3 hours before the scheduled departure for those flying domestically. On the other hand, you will only get 2 hours to cancel your flight internationally.
- However, you will be charged by the airline if you have requested cancellation. Remember, the cancellation may differ depending on factors such as your ticket type, destination, and fare.
- You cannot cancel non-refundable, basic economy tickets after 24 hours.
- If you do not attend your flight, the entire booking value will be forfeited. Also, there will be no refund.
- Therefore, if the airline cancels a flight, it will offer you an alternate flight instead of a refund.
- In case of sudden death in the family, the airline will not charge any money. And the passengers can even apply for a refund for the unused portion of their ticket.
United Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
As explained earlier, the passengers must cancel their tickets within 24 hours. By doing so, they would not have to pay any cancellation charges, and you can even request a refund. Here are the guidelines of United Airlines’ hour cancellation policy that you must keep in mind;-
- The passengers can cancel their flight within 24 hours to avoid cancellation fees.
- If you requested a refund, it will be credited back to the original format of your payment method.
- However, you can cancel your basic economy ticket, but you can only do so in the next 24 hours.
- If you cancel your flight after 24 hours, you will have to pay at least $200.
- Remember, the 24-hour cancellation policy would only be applicable if your PNR has 8-9 members.
- You cannot cancel your e-tickets/certificates under the 24-hour cancellation policy.
How to Cancel United Airlines Flight?
Flight cancellation is a simple procedure; it will only take a few minutes if you know the right steps. According to the United Airlines Cancellation Policy, passengers can cancel their flight online and offline.
For a more in-detailed version, pay attention to the below-listed methods of flight cancellation:-
(i) Flight Cancellation Using Online Procedure
Now, this procedure is quite simple, and anyone can do it. The steps are quite straightforward, and within a few seconds, you will be done:-
- Navigate to the official website of United Airlines in the beginning.
- Once you have done that, then go to the My Trips option.
- However, choose the canceled flight.
- Once you are done with that, make sure to cancel your flight. Also, remember to pay the cancellation fee if you have any.
- The airline will send you an email regarding the confirmation of your cancellation.
(ii) Cancel Your Flight Via Calling
If the passengers do not find any of the abovementioned methods feasible, you can try this method. In this method, you can cancel your flight by talking to a live agent and asking them to cancel it. Here let us show you how:-
- First, you must find the customer service number on the official website.
- Next, dial the given official number, pay attention to the AI-generated voice, and connect to the customer care agent.
- You will be asked to verify your identity for security reasons as soon as you are connected.
- However, you may need to provide details such as your name, booking number, etc.
- Once you finish that, you can ask the agent to cancel your United Airlines flight.
- Next, the agent will ask you to pay the cancellation fees, and once you do that, you will be good to go.
(iii) Go to the Airport & Cancel Your United Flight
- Go to the ticket counter as soon as you reach the airport.
- Then, you will have to showcase your identification for security purposes.
- Address your issue and ask the customer service agent to cancel your flight.
- Next, you may need to pay any cancellation fee and ask if you are eligible for a refund.
- Review all the details before concluding.
- Lastly, the airline will give you a cancellation receipt or email you regarding the cancellation.
(iv) Cancel Your Ticket By Talking to a Live Agent
- United Airlines cancellation Via Calling the Agent – The best way to cancel your flight is by calling the live agent on their official number. And within a few seconds, your call will be connected, and you can address what’s been bothering you and ask the airline to cancel your flight.
- Cancellation Via Live Chat option – If you do not like explaining yourself on a call, then you can try out this option to connect with the airlines using the live chat option. Moreover, the best thing is that passengers can ask questions in their preferable language.
United Airlines Ticket Cancellation Compensation
Any passenger whose flight has been canceled, delayed, or denied can get compensation. But it’s more complex than it may seem. As we have said, the compensation depends on various factors such as delay, the cause of your flight cancellation, and your region. Here’s the complete chart:-
New Flight Arrival Time
Compensation(% of Ticket fare)
Within one hour of original arrival time
Between 1-3 hours after original arrival time
More than 3 hours after original arrival time
At least 400%
If your Flight has Been Denied:
Maximum Compensation (USD)
For all the flights below 1500 Km
Flights departing between 1500 Km and 3500 Km
For distance More than 3500 Km
For all the Cancelled Flights:
Maximum Compensation (USD)
Below 1500 Km
For all the flights between 1500 Km and 3500 Km
Flights more than 3500 Km
How Much Do I Need to Pay For Cancellation Fee?
According to the latest reports, the airline does not charge any cancellation fee from the passengers. To understand it better, here’s the overview of the cancellation fee:-
For Free – You can use your flight credit for future travel
No Extra Charge – Will get full refund
Cancelling with redeposit
Will be free for all status levels
Cost $125 for all status levels
If you Want to Cancel your Award Ticket, then Refer to this List:-
For General Member
For Premier Gold
For Premier 1K
Cancelling with redeposit
United Airlines Cancellation & Refund Policy
Once you have canceled your flight, you can check to see if you are eligible for a refund. As per the United Airlines cancellation policy, the passengers can ask for a refund, but before that, you must know about the United Airlines Refund Policy;-
- All those passengers who have canceled their flight ticket within 24 hours are eligible for a refund.
- Remember, basic economy tickets will not be refunded after 24 hours of cancellation.
- The cancellation fee will depend on various things, such as your ticket type, departing destination, and fare type.
- The passengers with non-refundable tickets cannot get any refund, but the airline will convert their ticket value into flight credit.
- Per the refund policy, the Refund will be credited back to you in your original payment format.
How Can I Request For a Refund From United Airlines?
The procedure of request for a refund is quite easy and will take only a couple of minutes. Here check out these steps:-
- Once you have canceled your flight, you can start by filling out the refund form to request one.
- When you are done selecting your flight, you can check out all the options related to refundable items.
- Now, you can choose what items you want a Refund for, such as your selected seat, meal, and others.
- Passengers can add more than 15 items to get a Refund. All you have to do is enter all the related details and proof of your purchases.
- Next, you can provide your details, such as contact information, email id, etc. Once you are done with this, united airlines will reach out to you regarding your refund request.
- Lastly, the airlines will notify you regarding your refund request. Make sure to review your details before submitting your request, and then you can click on the Submit option.
Can I Avoid Paying Cancellation Fees?
There are many things that you can consider to avoid paying cancellation fees, such as;-
- You can avoid paying cancellation fees by purchasing a refundable ticket.
- The best way to cancel your flight without any cost is by canceling your flight within 24 hours.
- If our flight has been delayed for more than six hours, if that’s the case, then you can get your Refund in the form of travel credits.
- The passengers can get a full refund if the airline has canceled their flight due to bad weather or technical malfunction.
- However, you can get a refund if the family has sudden death.
Flight Cancellation can be done within minutes if you have used the right steps. That is why passengers need to know about United Airlines Cancellation Policy. Once you have read all the fine print, you can proceed with the flight cancellation procedure. The overall procedure is quite straightforward and will take only a few minutes, and you can choose whichever you like, according to your preference. For more queries like this, visit our official website and contact us via live chat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. To cancel your reservation without paying any fees, you would have to cancel your tickets within the given period by the airline, which is; 24 hours. You do not have to pay any fees if you cancel your reservation in 24 hours. However, in other cases, such as flight delays or cancellations due to bad weather and technical issues, you can cancel your booking for free.
Ans. According to the United Airlines Cancellation Policy, the cancellation fee usually costs $200 for all domestic flights. The passengers must pay at least $400 for all international flights.
Ans. Unfortunately no. If you have already check-in, then you cannot cancel your flight. You would have to begin from the start, as you would have to cancel the check-in first to initiate the refund procedure.
Ans. One thing that you can do is to book a flight in the future using the credits. The passengers can also use the credits for seating, extra legroom, baggage fees, etc. Therefore, the passengers can even book a brand new flight using the travel credits from the cancellation.
Ans. The Refund process usually takes at least seven working days to proceed. According to the United Airlines Refund Policy, the Refund will be credited back to the original payment method as your prior booking. To initiate the Refund, you can navigate to the official website of United Airlines and then choose the My Trips option. Call the airline for an easy refund claim and ask them for a refund.