Get Insights On Southwest Airlines Flight Change Policy
Last-minute plan changes are a common issue that can be hectic for passengers having reservations on a flight. While the majority of the airlines accept the request for flight changes, the major query is the applicable fee and whether or not the fare type they have will be eligible to request for changes or not. While changes can be done from the official sources of the airlines, what passengers look out for is information regarding various rules and regulations or simply the airline policy for flight changes.
One such airline we are going to discuss here is Southwest Airlines’ flight change policy. This will include all the information that passenger needs to know regarding flight changes and proceed further. Read this narrative further to get more insights regarding the Southwest Airlines Flight Change policy.
SouthWest Airlines Flight Change Policy
The following are some of the major pointers regarding the change in flight policy of Southwest Airlines:
- Passengers of all the travel fare in the Southwest can make changes in their flight itineraries for free i.e., there is no Southwest Airlines Flight Change Fee.
- While flight change is free, passengers need to pay the fare difference in case the new flight has a higher travel fare than the original booking.
- In case of a reservation of more than one passenger, the airlines advise them to divide their reservation, after which you can proceed to change or cancel the one that is needed. In simple terms, for a flight booking with more than one passenger, a single person can request cancellation changes without affecting the others.
- The deadline to make changes or cancel a flight is up to 10 minutes prior to the flight’s scheduled departure. Anyone unable to do the same and does not board a flight will be considered as a “No-Show.” This will lead to airlines forfeiting the travel funds and other journeys in the booking.
- The flight changes in SouthWest Airlines also offer the amenity of upgrading from a non-refundable to a refundable fare. Check further details below or simply dial the number +1-844-402-8105, where a live person can help you further regarding the same.
- Options of Same-day confirmed changes and same-day standby are also available for the passengers. Terms and conditions will be applicable as per the SouthWest Airlines Change flight policy.
- A flight change option is also available for international airlines. However, the deadline to request the same will be 2 hours prior to the flight departure instead of 10 minutes.
How Can I Change My Southwest Airlines Flight?
Well, this is the question that you must find answers to. Well, there are many ways by which one can change their Southwest Airlines flight. According to the statics, there are many ways by which one can change their flight. Here’s how it goes:-
1. Flight Change Using Online Method
This has to be one of the best and easiest methods. For this, you can go to the official website of the airline and follow on-screen from then, such as;-
- First, navigate to your official website and go to the home menu.
- Select the Southwest to manage flight option to proceed ahead.
- Next, choose the change flight or cancel flight option.
- You can enter your details, such as your last name, ticket, and confirmation number, as soon as you choose these options.
- Afterward, once the airline changes their flight, the passengers can search for an alternative flight.
- Lastly, always compare the prices. If your latest flight is much cheaper than the last one, you are eligible for a refund.
2. Change Your Flight Via Mobile Application
The first method is the easiest but have you tried changing your flight using the Mobile application? It is equally easy as the first one. Follow these steps to find out more about it;-
- The first step starts with downloading the mobile application.
- You can find the application on the play store or app store.
- Enter details such as your ticket number, last name, and all the other necessary details.
- Next, choose whichever flight you want to choose as your alternative flight.
- As soon as you finish this, you can proceed with the payments, and you are done.
3. Flight Change Using Southwest Airlines Companion Pass
Have you ever heard about the Companion Pass? Well, in this case, if you are traveling with your spouse, friends, or family, change their flight first according to the Southwest Airlines flight change policy.
The steps are very simple; you only have to cancel your friend’s flight first. But there’s a catch. The catch is you have to cancel your friend’s flight using a different booking number, and then you can do your flight chance. Once you finish that, remember to add your friend’s reservation number. And, you are done.
4. Use Southwest Airlines Flight Customer Service Number
If you like to hear the confirmation and need to trust what’s on the screen, this method is just for you. In this method, all you have to do is call on the Southwest tickets on their official number. Check out these steps:-
- Call Southwest Airlines on their official number. Dial the number and wait for your call to get connected.
- Press any number the AI voice tells you to change your reservation.
- Besides that, you will also get the live chat option to address your issue. Remember that you can only access the live chat option if you have installed the Southwest Airlines official mobile application.
Southwest Airlines Flight Change Fee
Everything depends on what type of ticket you have bought. So, look for what ticket you have before changing your flight with Southwest Airlines Change Flight Policy.
- You are eligible for a refund if you have a business select ticket. But you can only do that two hours before your confirmed departure. Do it on time. Otherwise, you can say goodbye to your refund.
- Apart from this, if you want to get away tickets, you are not entitled to a refund. Cause they want to get away, tickets are non-refundable. Like the business select ticket, you can change your ticket within 2 hours before departure.
- In the end, comes the Anywhere ticket, which is again refundable. However, if you change your ticket, then you can change your ticket just 10 minutes before your departure to get a full refund.
Southwest Airlines Change Flight Fees
There are no charges for domestic flights as well as Southwest International flights. So, if you have to change your flight for any reason, you can do so without paying any money. But that’s not all. You may have to pay a certain fare difference if you change your departure destination. No fare will be charged if there’s a sudden death in the family or any other emergency.
Southwest Airlines Same Day Flight Change Policy
Same-day changes refer to those that comprise switching to another flight with the same origin/destination departing on the same calendar date. Based on the seat availability on the preferred flight, the passengers either have the option to opt for same-day changes or same-day standby. No additional fee is associated with the same-day confirmed changes. However, applicable fares might need to be paid by the passengers.
The option of Free Same Day Flight changes is available for the following fares:
- Wanna Get Away +
- Anytime Fares
- Business Fares
For the basic economy fare (Wanna Get Away), only the option of same-day standby is available for free, while the fare difference needs to be paid in case of same-day changes. The same can be requested by any travel fare based on seat availability. Passengers who are present at the airport can request standby at least 10 minutes prior to the flight’s scheduled departure. Requesting standby through the mobile app or the web needs to be done at least 30 minutes prior to the flight departure.
Priority in the standby list is given in the following order.
- Passengers who have been rebooked to the flight due to disruption in the flight of their original booking.
- A-List Preferred and A-List Rapid reward member (priority is given on the basis of travel fare status)
- Customer on the basis of travel fare (Business Fare/Anytime Fare/Wanna Get Away+/Wanna Get Away). For the same travel fare, priority will be given to the one who has requested first.
Southwest Airlines Flight Change 24 Hours Policy
According to the flight change policy, passengers can change their flight within 24 hours of their scheduled departure. Southwest Airlines does not charge any fee if you change it within 24 hours. If you are eligible for a refund, you can fill out a form. The refund will be credited to your account in the same method you used for your Southwest flight confirmation.
Southwest Airline Policy in case of Flight Delay or Cancellation
In case of significant delay or even flight cancellation, passengers will be rebooked to an alternate available flight. Passengers will be notified by the airlines regarding the same through mail, registered number or Text. Afterward, there is nothing required for the passengers to do. However, if they do not prefer this travel arrangement made, then they have the option to cancel it or change it.
Change your Southwest Flight
In case the airlines delay or cancel your flight, you have the option to change your flight timings (date). You have the option to do that up to two times. Also, you can change in your reservation at least 14 days from the original travel date. Until this time, no additional cost will be applicable.
SouthWest Cancels your Flight
In that, you have the option to change or receive the refund in the form of the original form of payment or through travel credits that can be utilized within the next year.
What Happens if I don’t change my Flight Booking
Any passenger unable to inform the airlines regarding the delay change or cancellation will be considered a no-show. In that situation, the eligibility of a refund will depend on the travel fare of the passengers. For any basic economy class (Wanna Get Away), the travel amount will be forfeited. However, for the Business Fare, the amount will be refunded in the form of travel credits.
Change your flight from Non-Refundable to Refundable Fare
Passenger with SouthWest Airlines tickets also have the option to upgrade their fare to a refundable type. The same can be done while changing your flight itineraries. In case of an upgrade of this type, the amount to be refunded in case of cancellation will exclude the one of non-refundable tickets.
Southwest Airlines does not charge for flight changes for which passengers of any travel fare will be eligible. The option of same-day changes is also available for free, with the exception of Wanna Get Away (basic economy), who need to pay the fare difference. Flight change is an easy and swift process that can be made up to 10 minutes before the flight departs. However, if any passengers face trouble or have some other query regarding their flight tickets, they can connect with us at +1-844-402-8105, through which they can connect with a live person.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. No, Southwest Airlines does not charge change fees for modifying flight bookings. Passengers can make changes to their flights without incurring any additional fees.
Ans. Yes, Southwest Airlines provides an online platform where passengers can easily change their flight bookings. Passengers can access their booking details and initiate flight changes by logging into their Southwest Airlines account on the official website or using the mobile app.
Ans. Passengers can change their Southwest flights 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time. However, changes made after the departure time will result in a forfeiture of the fare.
Ans. If the new flight is more expensive than the original one, passengers must pay the fare difference. Southwest Airlines will provide the passenger with the updated fare information before finalizing the change.
Ans. If the new flight is cheaper, passengers will receive a credit for future travel through "Travel Funds." These Travel Funds can be used towards a future Southwest flight booking.
Ans. Yes, Southwest Airlines allows passengers to change their flights at the airport counter. If you prefer face-to-face interaction or find yourself at the airport, you can visit the Southwest Airlines counter and speak with an agent for assistance.
Ans. Yes, Southwest Airlines allows changes to be made to individual travelers within a group booking. However, specific guidelines and restrictions may apply, and it is recommended to review Southwest's group booking policy or contact their Group Travel department for assistance.
Ans. Southwest Airlines' change policy includes canceling flights without incurring any cancellation fees. Passengers can receive a credit for future travel, known as Travel Funds, for a future Southwest flight booking.
Passengers can visit the official website, use the airline’s mobile app, or simply visit the airport counter to request a flight change in their Southwest Airlines ticket.
The Southwest offers travel booking under 4 fare types which are:
- Business Fare
- Anytime Fare
- Wanna Get Away and Wanna Get Away +