Last minute plan change is a common case, due to which passengers need to cancel their flight a few minutes before their boarding time. However, the main question which arises is whether the amount paid by the passengers can either be refunded or not by the airport authorities. While some of the airlines offer a full refund, some do not. In the scenario of a full refund, certain parameters need to be fulfilled by the passengers. Thus, here we are going to provide information on the top 5 airlines that offer a full refund along with their flight cancellation policy.
Top 5 Airlines which Offer a Full Refund to the Passengers
Airlines through which you can easily avail of a full refund in case of a flight cancellation are listed below. Although certain terms and conditions are different, when speaking of refunds, 24-hour flight cancellation is common among all airlines.
1- United Airlines
Passengers who wish to cancel their flight with United Airlines have an initial 24-hour period subsequent to the flight booking in which they can easily get a full refund irrespective of their travel class. After this, the basic economy does not qualify for a full refund. For other travel classes, certain terms and conditions are applicable depending on their original bookings.
- Eligible travel classes will get there in the original form of payment. However, they have the option to get their refund in the form of travel credits.
- Booking made through credit cards will receive their refund within seven days. Another refund will be processed within a given time of 20 days. If you have not received your refund, then you need to connect with the airline’s customer support.
- Bookings done through both money and miles are also eligible for cancellation and a full refund. The respective amount and miles will be transferred to the passenger’s account and the original form of payment.
- Certain situations might affect the refund status of the passenger during the time when they need to connect with the airline authorities.
Moreover, to provide an added layer of safety for your United Airlines flight reservations, you have the option to add cancellation protection to your booking. This useful feature guarantees a full refund if you’re unable to make your flight due to illness or unforeseen alterations. Your travel arrangements acquire an additional safeguard, offering you a sense of calm amid any unpredictable situations.
2- SouthWest Airlines
he cancellation and refund scenario for the tickets booked for Southwest airlines varies from others. As per the Southwest Airlines Cancellation policy, any ticket canceled within 24 hours of the flight booking is eligible for a full refund. After the 24-hour grace period, the refund policy varies depending on the original booking of the passengers:
- For Business Select Ticket or Anytime Ticket, passengers can get a full refund in the original form of payment. Also, instead of the amount, they can also convert it into travel credit which can be utilized in the future. For the Business Select ticket, if not canceled at least 10 minutes before the flight’s scheduled departure, then the amount will automatically be transferred into flight credit.
- The Wanna Get Away and Wanna Get Away Plus are non-refundable. However, the amount will be transferred into travel credits. If the passengers don’t notify the airlines about the cancellation, then the ticket amount will be forfeited.
- For the flight booked using a Rapid Reward ticket, on cancellation, the points will be transferred to the passenger’s account. For taxes and other fees, the passengers have the option to either get a refund for that in the original form or convert the given amount into a travel credit.
- No refund will be offered to the passengers in case the check-in process has been done as per the SouthWest Airlines Refund Policy.
- If the cancellation has been made by Southwest, then the passengers will be offered a full refund irrespective of their original booking.
- While the Business Select ticket will get a refund in case of a no-show, the Wanna Get Away ticket amount will be forfeited.
3- JetBlue Airlines
As per JetBlue Airlines refund policy passengers who wish to cancel their JetBlue flight will be eligible for a full refund if the cancellation has been made within 24 hours of flight booking and at least seven days before the scheduled departure of the flight. Refund scenarios on the cancellation of JetBlue ticket are listed below:
- The Refundable ticket is eligible for a full refund if the cancellation has been made before the flight’s scheduled departure without any JetBlue Cancellation Fee. The amount refunded will be transferred in the original form of payment. In case the passengers are unable to make the cancellation, then in the case of a “No Show.” In that case, the amount will be refunded in the form of travel credits.
- For the non-refundable, cancellation within 24 hours of the flight booking is the only option to get a full refund. After the 24-hour window, an additional fee is applicable depending on the original booking.
- For flights booked using JetBlue credit, the travel credits will be transferred to the JetBlue account in case of cancellation instead of JetBlue Cancellation Fee.
4- Alaska Airlines
Like other Airlines, a 24-hour cancellation policy of getting a full refund in the original form is also available for Alaska flight passengers. After the 24-hour window, passengers need to fulfill the following eligibility criteria in order to receive a full refund:
- Only the refundable tickets are eligible for a full refund in the original form of payment on an Alaska Flight Cancellation.
- Tickets need to be booked from the official source of Alaska Airlines (alaskaair.com, reservation call center, or the ticket counter).
- It should not be a partially used ticket. The cancellation time should not be more than one year from the date of the original booking.
- Tickets need to be purchased using the US dollars only.
- Tickets purchased using travel credit will get the points refunded to their account in case of Alaska Flight Cancellation.
5- Delta Airlines
Requests to fulfill the 24-hour cancellation criteria can be refunded in the original form of payment. The following terms and conditions will be applicable in the case of Delta Flight Change and Cancellation:
- For non-refundable tickets, the cancellation ticket will be deducted from the flight ticket cost. The remaining value will be transferred to the passengers in the form of e-credits.
- For the refundable ones, a Delta flight change and cancellation fee will be applied. After that, the passengers will receive a refund in the original form of payment.
- The Delta Airlines cancellation fee is not applicable on the following routes:
- The travel class of Delta Main Cabin or above travels within the USA, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.
- For flights that originate from the USA, Europe, Africa, and the Caribbean going to anywhere in the world, the cancellation fee will not be charged.
How to Apply for Airlines Refund on my Ticket
The process to refund your ticket will be initiated as soon as you cancel your flight and on the basis of your original booking. In order to cancel your flight, you need to visit the official website of the airline, where you need to access your flight details under the “My Trips” section. From there, you can find the option of flight cancellation. Once the cancellation has been made, a confirmation mail or message will be sent to your registered contact details.
Here, we have listed the Refund Policies of the top 5 Airlines in the states. For the passengers with non-refundable tickets, make sure you cancel your flight booking within the 24-hour time in order to get a full refund in the original form of payment. Also, passengers are advised to confirm their travel booking under the refundable travel class in case they are not sure of their plans. For further information, you can connect with us through our live chat amenity to get an instant solution for any of your travel-related queries.